Dear Rising 6th-8th Grade Families,
Did You Know?
- All young people experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer. Research spanning 100 years shows that students typically score lower on standardized tests at the end of summer vacation than they do on the same tests at the beginning of the summer. (White, 1906; Heyns, 1978; Entwisle & Alexander 1992; Cooper, 1996; Downey et al, 2004)
- Most students lose about two months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills over the summer months. (Cooper, 1996)
- Parents consistently cite summer as the most difficult time to ensure that their children have productive things to do. (Duffett et al, 2004)
How can SMA help?
- Mandatory Summer Reading and Math Assignments! Please click on the attached are the assignments your student(s) is assigned to complete this summer.
- Optional Summer Reading Scavenger Hunt booklet from Mrs. Pridmore
- Optional Summer Enrichment Courses